The NZNTT is actively seeking updated information for all trees in the register. If you have information about this tree that we don't currently have recorded, or wish to advise of an inaccuracy please use our information submission form to help us build a complete profile of this tree.
It has been more than ten years since we recorded a measurement for this tree. If you are able to provide us with new measurements please fill out the information submission form for this tree.

Tree Information x

Identifier: HBR/0744
Tree Type: Single
Registered By: King, J.M.
Registration Category: Notable tree/s – Local interest
General Notes:


 x
St Columba's Presbyterian Church and manse was the first church built in Havelock North. It was built in 1871 at the site where the National bank is today. The first minister was Rev. Alexander Shepherd and he lived in a house in what is now Exmoor Street. A new church, designed by Robert Lamb was erected in 1894 on donated land adjacent to the domain (formerly occupied by the Havelock North Hotel). The gum tree, a significant landmark is reported to have been planted in the mid 1860's. The current church was finished in 1971 (ref Havelock Village information online).

Dispite the 1860's date above, no known history of the tree is recorded but the book by S.W. Grant ‘Havelock North, from village to borough, 1860-1952' makes reference to the tree on page 25.
'The second St Columbas built in 1893, dignified by it’s graceful, shingle covered spire which could be seen from many parts of Havelock North, was also blessed by having in the corner of it’s grounds a huge blue gum tree, a giant still happily surviving. Surmise about the identity of the planter has already been discussed; whoever it was, assuredly he or she erected a monument”

“Some must have watched the growth of the giant blue gum tree, which now dominates it’s surroundings. It is not known who planted the tree. Perhaps it was John Chambers, the head of a family who were notable tree planters, or perhaps it was Boswell Danvers who in the 1860’s advertised blue gum saplings for sale.”

The tree was formerly identified in error as a Eucalyptus regans and included in a 1970 national survey of Historic and Notable trees of New Zealand by SW Burstall. E. globulus subsp. globulus was confirmed at SCION on 24 June 2010. National Forestry Herbarium voucher number reference: NZFRI 28197.

Today the tree is a landmark which can be seen from several kms away from each of the 4 main roads (N S E & W) leading into Havelock North. The tree is visible towering over the church roof and the village CBD. The tree is recorded in many early photos of the area. JMK 2010

Single Tree Details

Genus: Eucalyptus
Species: globulus subsp. globulus
Common names: Tasmanian blue gum, blue gum
Height: 36.00m
Height measurement method: Laser Nikon Forestry 550
Height Comments: (none)
Girth: 911 cm
Girth measurement height: 1.4 m
Girth Comments: (none)
Diameter: 290 cm
Crown Spread A: 32.00m
Crown Spread B: 34.00m
Avg. Crown Spread: 33.00m
Actual Planting Date: actual date not specified
Approx. Planting Date: Circa 1860
e.g. circa. 1860
Current Age: 161 years
Tree Health Description: In good health with good full leaf cover.
Tree Form Type: Single Trunk
Number of Trunks: 1
Tree Form Comments: The tree is very well maintained. Many limbs have been shortened to reduce load.
Champion Tree Score: 504
Local Protection Status: Yes
Tree Present: Yes
STEM Score: 252

Observations

Date Observer Action
12 Mar 2010 Bishop, J.
23 Jul 1969 Burstall, SW

Location

Lat/Long: -39.66920000315403 / 176.87951803207397
Location Name: St Columba's Church
Address: 14 Napier Road
Suburb:
City/Town: Havelock North
Region: Hawke's Bay
Location Description: At front of property adjacent to public footpath.
Public Accessibility: Church-Cemetery
Local Authority: Hastings District Council

Images

Preview Credit Date
Johanna King 04 Jul 2010
Mark H. Roberts 08 May 2010
Copyright © New Zealand Notable Trees Trust 2009. The NZNTT register is provided and supported by Turboweb.