|Registered By:||Cadwallader, B.G.|
|Registration Category:||Notable tree – International interest|
Reportedly planted by the Hon. Robert Campbell when he owned the property.
'A tree of normal form and the largest in New Zealand'. Pg. 17, NZ Forest Service Mensuration Report No. 23 1970 (unpublished).
The largest known specimen in the world, NZNTT 2010.
Historical notes from the Campbell Park Estate website.
'In 1857 Mr. William Dansey purchased and lived on the sheep and cattle station which later became Campbell Park Estate. He had the first house built in 1861 and “Dansey’s Hut” still remains on the estate today. William sold the property in 1861 to the Hon. Robert Campbell, the son of a wealthy Scottish family with business interests in England and Australia. Robert then brought a large workforce of Scottish Craftsmen and material from Scotland and Italy and built “The Castle” and stables in 1876. In 1908 the Estate was sold to the New Zealand Education Board, who used it as a school up until 1987. The school was closed and in 1988 the Estate passed into private ownership. The Estate helped shape the future of thousands of young men, during which time the property was extensively developed into the beautiful and expansive complex that it is today.'
|Common names:||big-cone pine, Coulter pine|
|Height measurement method:||Climb & Tape Drop|
|Girth measurement height:||1.4 m|
|Crown Spread A:||0.00m|
|Crown Spread B:||0.00m|
|Avg. Crown Spread:||0.00m|
|Actual Planting Date:||actual date not specified|
|Approx. Planting Date:||
e.g. circa. 1860
|Current Age:||148 years|
|Tree Health Description:||(none)|
|Tree Form Type:||Single Trunk|
|Number of Trunks:||1|
|Tree Form Comments:||(none)|
|Champion Tree Score:||325|
|Local Protection Status:||Unknown|
|29 Nov 1984||Burstall, S.W.|